Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Turkish great politician Tayyip Erdogan has been Turkey’s 12th and current president since 2014. By defeating opposition leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu in the presidential runoff vote on Sunday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan won the election and extended his rule into a third decade.
Erdogan has been the supreme leader of Turkey for 20 years
Since Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the celebrated architect of the modern republic, took office 20 years ago, Recep Tayyip Erdogan has revolutionized Turkey more than any other leader. He rose from modest beginnings to become a political titan.
He won the first round of the 2023 presidential election despite being buffeted by several problems, and he is expected to continue to hold onto power.
For years, he had been vulnerable, and his adversaries believed they could beat him.
10 Best Things about Tayyip Erdogan
- Tayyip Erdogan, born on February 26, 1954, in Istanbul, Turkey, started his political career as the mayor of Istanbul in 1994. This position played a crucial role in shaping his political trajectory.
- Erdogan founded the Justice and Development Party (AKP) in 2001, quickly gaining prominence and winning the parliamentary elections in 2002. He became the prime minister of Turkey in the same year.
- Under Erdogan’s leadership, Turkey experienced a period of significant economic growth and development. He implemented various reforms that liberalized the economy, attracting foreign investments and increasing trade.
- Erdogan has been a dominant figure in Turkish politics, winning several elections and referendums. He has been in power for over 18 years, serving as prime minister from 2003 to 2014 and as the president since 2014.
- Erdogan is known for his conservative and Islamist-leaning political ideology. He has implemented policies that emphasize Islamic values and has worked to increase the influence of Islam in Turkish society.
- Despite his popularity among his supporters, Erdogan has faced criticism for his increasingly authoritarian style of governance. There have been concerns about the erosion of democratic institutions, restrictions on freedom of expression, and the weakening of checks and balances.
- Erdogan has played a significant role in shaping Turkey’s foreign policy. He pursued an assertive and proactive approach to elevate Turkey’s regional and global influence. He has been involved in conflicts such as the Syrian civil war and the dispute over Cyprus.
- Erdogan has been a polarizing figure, with supporters praising him for his strong leadership and nationalist stance, while critics accuse him of curbing civil liberties, suppressing dissent, and undermining secularism in Turkey.
- Throughout his political career, Erdogan has faced numerous challenges, including widespread protests, corruption allegations, and a failed coup attempt in 2016. These events have further polarized Turkish society.
- Erdogan’s tenure has witnessed significant changes in Turkey’s domestic and international dynamics. Whether admired or criticized, his political influence and leadership style have undoubtedly made him one of the most influential figures in recent Turkish history.